Pages

Search This Blog

Followers

Monday, February 01, 2010

Ladysmith Black Mambazo

After 50 years of singing, Ladysmith Black Mambazo has lost none of what made them so famous to begin with. While I'm don't feel particularly enlightened about South African culture, I did enjoy myself immensely. These men have rich voices and create beautiful harmonies that carry you right into the music.


For the duration of the concert I felt as if I was part of the rhythm and part of their family. Their dancing did not feel choreographed, but like a physical manifestation of their sheer pleasure of being. Their songs were inviting and joyful, and whether the song was about hope or homelessness, the theme of togetherness remained a constant. I left the concert revitalized and content with the world.

By: Molly Baumkel
UMS Student Advisory Committee Member

No comments: