Pages

Search This Blog

Followers

Friday, January 29, 2010

The Humble Conductor

An all 20th Century program: Ravel based on Couperin, a modern Flute Concerto, and a opera in concert... by Bartok? Quite a hard sell and yet there were people asking me about getting Rush Tickets up until an hour before the show! As much as I would like to think that it was my amazing marketing talent, unfortunately I know that is not the case. Whether it was because of or in spite of the program for this past Wednesday's performance, most people came out to see Pierre Boulez conduct in Hill Auditorium once again.


Boulez's subtle conducting, although not incredibly entertaining as my friend whose Rush Tickets landed him in the front row made sure to let me know, carried an energy and passion that led these incredible musicians to several standing ovations. During the long and well-deserved applause, I was struck by how humble Boulez was; always motioning for his soloists to take the front of the stage, leaving himself slightly in back. The conductor of my non-music major, unprofessional choir will take 10 bows for himself before motioning to us. But not Boulez. In the diva/divo centered world of music, it was refreshing to see such a great musician, who didn't need that limelight.

By: Rachel Lum
UMS Student Marketing Intern

No comments: