Pages

Search This Blog

Followers

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Anticipating The Trio Mediaeval

By Colin Miller


I can't really explain my interest in what is usually called "early music". It's just one of those things, you know? Initially it sounds like an odd preference to have, and I wouldn't consider myself to be an aficionado, but you don't question what you like. If it feels right to you, you go with it. The particular sound, so rich with history and a sort of passionate grace just grabs me when I hear it. When it's done particularly well it's something to behold. Once you hear the voices of the three ladies in Trio Mediaeval, I think you too will understand. The group consists of three (no, really?) young Norwegian sopranos, who perform polyphonic English and French medieval music, Norwegian medieval ballads and songs, and also contemporary work. To hear them is to be astounded by the capability for beauty in the human voice. The catch is that I haven't had the chance to hear them live yet, but that will soon be corrected as I plan to attend the concert they are giving, organized by the University Musical Society on Thursday, November 16th at the St. Francis of Assisi Church. I imagine there's a difference between hearing a CD and experiencing the sound in that particular setting. I have high expectations, and getting
off of a rough and busy period of work and school there's nothing I'm looking forward to more than taking the night off to have those expectations blown away.

Most blurbs on the group simply quote the litany of superlatives and endorsements that others have heaped on them. It's easy enough to find that sort of promotion-by-quoting. A simple Google search will get you pages of reviewers, some scrambling to find all the right words, some any word at all, left speechless by the beauty of these voices. That was more than enough to convince me to check out a live recording, which lead to more investigation and more listening, and now they're coming to Ann Arbor. Rush tickets are available for only $10, an amazing deal. UMS brings in groups from all over the world and lets students partake for less than it would cost to buy the CD. Twice the experience, at about half the price. And if you're not convinced you'll like it, you still get to preview it for less than the cost of a movie ticket and a bag of popcorn. Expand your horizons, you can't lose.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.